Forum Navigation

Sony Ericsson W810i Walkman Phone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Sony Ericsson W810i Walkman Phone Reply with quote

OSNews have published a two-page review of the Sony Ericsson W810i Walkman Phone, a snazzy new little phone that a few people I know have already got. Sounds like it's quite a good deal although it's usually best to see how these things hold up to a few months of normal use before judging them.

Regardless, I am due a new phone since my current once has lasted well over a year and a half and has a nasty habit of turning off randomly. With my limited use I doubt my provider will send me one of these but it doesn't hurt to ask Wink

Read the review @ OSNews

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the W800i, which is the same phone, but in ugly off-white, a lens cover and with the older and potentially less reliable joystick (although its fine so far - after 8 months hard use). Its a nice phone on the whole - but its a jack of all trades and a master of none. The camera is good - esp with the flash attachment - but its not a patch on an equivalent actual digital camera. The MP3 player is primitive and functional - but its got some poor interface choices, a non-random shuffle and the audio quality is very average (but if you like iPods it probably doesn't matter to you). All in all its a fairly good phone - just don't expect too much from its non-phone related features.

I'm not sure what phone I'll get next (November) but I'm strongly leaning towards a PDA style one since I have a fantastic Digital Camera (Canon Powershot A620) and a fantastic MP3 player (Cowon iAudio X530L)... I could make very good use of a reasonably functional Outlook compatible calendar on a phone.

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, a phone is never going to be a better camera than a dedicated camera and the same with an MP3 player. However, I do not have a digital camera or MP3 player and do not haave enough use for either to justify seperate purchases. Thus a phone that does a little bit of those is enough to get me by. My current phone has taken around 100 photos for various reasons and has been used to play MP3s several times so I would make use of a phone that has multiple functionality.

The main things for me in my next phone in addition to the obvious phone functionality will be:

• Decent camera with flash
  • Stereo-capable MP3 playback
  • Decent storage capablity (256Mb)
  • Speedy GUI
  • USB mass storage interface

All of which would be a vast improvement over my current phone and which this phone seems to have. Ofcource, there are probably a few others that would fit this description too.

-- Rei

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The W8x0i series will do you just fine then. You'll need a seperate flash tho (~£15). I'm hearing good things about the Nokia N series. The N91 comes with a 4Gb HD for example, and the N93 has a 3.2 MP camera and a flash.
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Smile I shall do some more homework then before giving O2 a call.

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have ordered one of these now and should recieve it in the next few days Smile I did have to pay 70 quid for it tho since I am not a valued O2 customer Sad I did check out my sister's Motorola Razr phone but it seemed they lied as it does not work as a USB mass storage device and requires extra software to access it Evil or Very Mad I am hoping that the W810i is not equally as deceptive.

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a USB dongle for the MemoryStick Duo, which was about £4.99 which is much faster and hassle free.

Plus you might want to check eBay for the flash, unless you got the same phone as Faye (K800i for 3G or K790i for Edge).

DemonKnight
Techno ZomBie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8 i did tell you that it acts as a mass storage device mind you thought the beer and vodka may have wiped your mind from saturday. Tounge All you do is plug it in with the usb cable that comes with it and you can copy and paste till your hearts content with out installing any software. You can install the software but i find no need for it yet.

Last edited on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not diagreeing with that... its just that the speed using the cable is poor compared to using a seperate dongle Wink Suppuse it depends how much data you'll be using and how patient u are
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, well yeah, alcohol doesn't do any favours for my already rather useless memory Tounge

In any case I now have my new W810i (delivered friday) Smile Not had time to play too much but indeed it does work as a mass storage device. Plugged it into my Linux box and could mount both the phone and card as drives Smile Transfered over the images from the old camera and the ringtones I already have and it barely took anytime at all Smile Much better than my old Nokia which required stupid software which slowed down the machine and required extra software Sad

Not sure I'll need the flash as it has a bright light on the front anyway.

So, very happy with it so far Smile

-- Rei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Hardware All times are BST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: