Forum Navigation

Dual-Core (Athlon64 X2) game compatibility list
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Dual-Core (Athlon64 X2) game compatibility list Reply with quote

After my issues over the weekend with GTA San Andreas which were linked to it not liking my dual core, I thought it would be helpful to publish a list of games and their compatibility with dual core (couldn't find an existing one anywhere).

Basically, I have noticed on some games that after a while the game gets "confused" with the dual core and starts acting very jumpy. This was VERY noticeable on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas were the cut scenes would skip randomly and time started flying by in jumpy spurts which made the cars jump along and made me feel rather ill watching it Sad Forcing the game to run on only one core fixed this problem tho Smile

Forcing a game to run on only one core is done by the following:

1. Run task manager
  2. Start up your game
  3. Alt-Tab back to the desktop and wait for the game process to show
  4. Right click on the process and select "Affinity"
  5. Uncheck CPU 1 and click OK

This is not a particularly good solution as you have to do it every time. FraZor did tell me of an application to do this better but I was drunk and so I forgot it Drunk Hopefully he'll remember and post it here Smile

Problems when running with Dual Core

• GTA San Andreas - Very jumpy performance and random cut scene skipping
  • Pro Evolution 5 - I will have to test this again, but did notice some jumping previously but not as noticeable as GTA:SA
  • The Chronicles of Riddik: Escape from Butcher Bay - Game crashes on launch.
  • Serious Sam 2 - Mouse Pointer is unusable in menus, gameplay is erratic because of mouse issues too (May be fixed by a new patched just released today)
  • Shell shock Nam '67 - No graphics are displayed on going into the game itself, menu is fine tho.
  • Pariah - Game crashes with an exception on start.

Possible issues with Dual Core

• X3 Reunion (1.2.01) - A not-very scientific testing proceedure indicates that dual core *may* make the game a little more buggy (particularly noting the cycling targetting bug)

Please post any additions/changes/discrepancies Smile

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei

Last edited on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any point in listing the games that work... as thats most games. But I can add a few more that don't work...

• The Chronicles of Riddik: Escape from Butcher Bay - Game crashes on launch.
  • Serious Sam 2 - Mouse Pointer is unusable in menus, gameplay is erratic because of mouse issues too (May be fixed by a new patched just released today)
  • Shell shock Nam '67 - No graphics are displayed on going into the game itself, menu is fine tho.

As to the work around, thats somewhat more complex. I found a utility called ROPE that worked OK. It was a tad fiddly, and ran from a command prompt. It was possible to set-up shortcuts to use it correctly, despite the incorrect instructions on the web page. However its only works for a month, until you purchase it, which is a but rubbish for what is essentially a fix.

I did find another fix, a tool from the Windows Server Resource Kit, which modifies the games exe so that it sets the CPU affinity on launch. This works fine for the most part EXCEPT in modifying the exe it often trips most games' copy protection, which isn't great. So therefore you need to use this tool on a cracked (read: fixed) game executable. Now... I was going to post the location of that, except I don't have the link to hand and I can't find it.

I did wonder if X3 was suffereing form instability from my dual core CPU, but alt-tabbing crashes it and the alteration of the exe trips the copy protection, so I can't tell.

Last edited on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have edited the first post (on the off-chance that we get many pages of discussion of this it will help to keep an up-to-date list there). I'll also add versions in when I get a chance too as it will be handy to add when/if an issue is fixed with a patch etc.

Didn't know if the probs with dual core was wide-spread or not so figured it would help to list games that work. Have taken them out now, especially since any problems might actually exist but may not even be noticable so we can't say for sure.

Alt-tab is a bit hit-and-miss anyway I find with games (yet another reason why a decent shell access to windows would be nice Tounge). To change GTA:SA I had task manager up on my second monitor and just moved the mouse across when on the GTA menu. Will see if I can do a similar thing with X3 but I think my main crashing issue (crash to desktop on pushing next/previous object button too many times) is documented as bug with all hardware.

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. For X3, you should be able to change the affinity when you see the window that gives you the option to change the graphics settings before starting the game proper. This is X3.exe and is the same executable that the game runs as and is of cource running as a window so no alt-tabbing required.

As far as it fixing the targeting bug I personally have experienced that requires more testing. It is discussed here but that was unconclusive. The search on Egosoft forums is down atm so I cannot search for any other possible dual core issues.

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get the targeting crash, but I stopped using my joystick so now I rarely get that.

I also remember trying setting the CPU affinity on the pre-load screen, to no avail. It may well have set the affinisty, but it didn't stop the game crashing. I forgot I had done that.

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a full evenings play, I'm still undecided on whether dual core makes any difference. I played for hours and didn't get the targetting craash despite many times I pushed the targetting buttons like mad. However, when rebooting and playing again with dual core on it still didn't crash on cycling through targets when I tried to crash - but it DID when I was in the middle of a battle with some Ka'ack ships. Therefore, I think the targeting cycling crash is probably limited to (or atrleast more prone to turn up) when there are enemy ships in range too as I can't remember it happening when there was no enemies about. However, unless I can reproduce this crash every time then I can't really test to see if dual core makes a difference.

I don't use a joystick so the targetting crash is not limited to the input device.

The game still has bugs and the dev team at Egosoft aare obviously working to fix many of them with the next patch, but as far as I can see now, there doesn't seem to be any definite dual-core specific issues.

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that other tool I was on about:

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

Although I'm now thinking of trying this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;252867&

Except I can't seem to download it.

F

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm not sure that last link will do what I want it to.
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the main post to include X3. I have put it down as a maybe as I have played for many hours of normal play and have yet to see it crash. I realise this is tempting fate, but I did get a lot of crashing to desktop when cycling targets while running the game with dual core enabled. Since the cycling target crash is not easily reproducable then I don't think it's fair to add it as definitely having issues.

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found another tool for fixing games with multi-CPU issues, WinLauncherXP:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download870.html

I have verified that it works just fine, the one downside here is that it has to be used to launch the game, rather than being associated with the game launching normally, but works great when you cant adjust the EXE's CPU affinity directly using IMGCFG method:

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

You can't use this method when copy protection comes into play as the copy protection realises the EXE has been modified. So if its a frequently updated game, or one for which you can't find a copy protection crack, then the WinLauncherXP app is the only option I can find... short of the fiddly alt-tab method.

I also added Pariah to the list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Games All times are BST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: