Forum Navigation

Ack! Damn you adware!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Ack! Damn you adware! Reply with quote

It seems I'd forgotten just how vulnerable Windows XP is Sad I went to download an RSS Reader to check the content of my dev version and when IE opened I found it had aquired damn adware! WTF? I know I have been lazy in not installing anti-spyware, anti-adware or a decent web browser up till that point but it's a games machine FFS.

I immediatly uninstalled the stupid IE toolbar, installed Opera, Spybot, AdAware and the MS AntiSpyware (all of which found several nasty things).

Since the machine is behind a firewall and I don't use it for normal web surfing or email that leads me to narrow down the list of culprits to the following:

• www.dfi-street.com - Downloaded motherboard BIOS update from here
  • www.nvidia.com - Downloaded new chipset drivers from here
  • www.nzone.com - Downloaded new gfx drivers from here
  • www.sigames.com - Downloaded the update to FM2006 before realising that it wasn't worth installing.
  • www.egosoft.com - Downloaded the update for X3 Reunion
  • windowsupdate.microsoft.com - Visited windows update a few times
  • fileforum.betanews.com - To download klite codec
  • Driver CD Supplied with my motherboard
  • Autopatcher November 2005
  • KLite codec pack - because I needed a player to play some music videos

These are the only places I have visited and the only non-game applications I have run. But seeing as these sites and applications are either legitamate or recommended, I am not sure where I have gone wrong (other than not locking the whole OS down before doing anything with it. If I had been visiting warez sites or even some less reputable news sites or downloaded random software then I could understand but I havn't.

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at those sites I see no reasonble cause for concern, nor are there any issues with any of the software you mention. In short I don't think you got it from installing any of the stuff you mentioned.

Are you *sure* there's noting else that you have installed. e.g. GameSpy Arcade comes with Yahoo Toolbar, MSGPlus comes with a toolbar, MSN Messenger comes with the MSN toolbar, Shockwave comes with Yahoo Toolbar too - but not the version in AutoPatcherXP AFAIK. Oh and don't confuse Windows Messenger with MSN Messenger. Autopatcher installs items silently, but does NOT install any extras that come with the items.

Are you also *sure* that nobody else has used that machine?

Anyway, with any OS, you shoudl install drivers, then firewall, then anti-virus, then anti-spyware... all before opening it up to the internet.

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That is pretty much all I have done with that machine and no, no1 else would have used it.

• I have never ever installed gamespy. Don't even know what it's for.
  • Some form of Microsoft Messenger was installed and set it to run automatically (might have been autopatcher, despite me telling it that I didn't want it), but either way I told it not run at startup as I don't ever use it and so no reason to install MSGPlus
  • I have not installed flash or shockwave.

I suppose there may be something I have missed, but as I said this is my games machine, no-one else is going to use it and I am only installing game-related things on it.

Indeed, I should have installed the anti-cr@pware stuff first but I was being lazy. Sad

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Security All times are BST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: