Forum Navigation

More email phishing scams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: More email phishing scams Reply with quote

Hi,
I have had asimilar experience to Mike Jarvis and responded by asking the originator to provide full details of the transaction or I would contact the police. Needless to say when I tried to search for the website I was unable to find it. Thanks for confirming it is a scam.

Regards

Richard James
Mr Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: dvdzone22 Reply with quote

I got this email and when I tried to log on to the site my antivirus software told me it was trying to send me two different trojans. So you need to check for these if you responded to the email.
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEK!

This is quite shocking. I hope the person behind this gets heavily prosecuted for this.

Last edited on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I checked out this site as I coudn't see the point of the email as it was "too obvious".
As I hit the site it tried to exploit 4 "known security vulnerabilities" before I decided to close IE.
Luckily I was patched and had appropriate firewall and anti virus precautions.
Perhaps you might wish to check your machines for trojans and viruses ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a dont have a bank account so they didnt fool me Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did they get my e-mail address?
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you not have a bank account? EEK!

Scammers can harvest email addresses in many many ways unfortunately. As the guest before you pointed out, trojans and viruses installed on your machine could be leaking the information. Also, spyware installed on your machine will send information over the net, possibly to scammers who use the information to send out such emails. In addition, these things could also go through your email addressbooks and emails that you have sent and recieved stripping out email addresses to send to scammers. Thus it is ESSENTIAL that you install good anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software on your machine, keep them up-to-date constantly and tell everyone you know to do the same - afterall it would not be any good securing your own machine if your best friend who emails you frequently has a machine riddled with viruses/spyware sending your email address out to scammers.

They can also search webpages for email addresses, which is why you will sometimes find that on the more popular websites (which are more likely to be targetted) then people disguise their email i.e. if your email was bob.smith@isp.com then you might write it as bob DOT smith AT isp DOT com.

Also, there was a news item just recently about someone who used to work for AOL who sold some spammers 90 million AOL email addresses. (I think I forgot to post it tho Embarassed, Red Face )

In short tho, there is unfortunatly no 100% safe way to keep your email address away from spammers and/or scammers unless you never use it and never give it out to anyone which would defeat the object of having it in the first place. The best defence is simply to make sure you protect you machine as best you can, avoid giving out your main email account on mailing lists or websites (especially those that are heavily into advertising and want to pass your email onto affiliates who may have products you are interested in) and arm yourself with some education. There are many different types of ways that people can try and con you out of your money so best to learn how to spot them and so as not to fall for their schemes.

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was the same guest lol

i dont have a bank account cos am 13 lol

i installed norton antivirus 2005 after getting the e-mail and it found 4 trojans on my pc EEK! but it deleted them, i also found lots of spyware and adware
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see Smile

Hopefully your machine will now stay clean of all those viruses and spyware now then. Make sure you keep norton up to date tho, allowing live update to check automatically if you can. You should have free updates for a whole year with norton anti-virus (if i remember correctly). Unless they've updated norton considerably since last time I used it (2003 I think) it wasn't designed to detect spyware so make sure you also run a copy of MicroSoft's Anti-Spyware or Spybot Search and Destroy or similar to keep you safe from those.

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi had the same mail but i checked all my credit cards but nothing taken out, had an idea that it was a scam and that you would get another mail saying sorry for the mistake and asking for bank details so they can reimbuse you.. unfortuately because my surname can be spelt 2 ways i do get emails sent to the person who has the other spelling of my surname (sorry wont supply it) and at first thought it his e-mail............reckon all scammers should have there bollicks cut off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Security All times are BST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: