Forum Navigation

More email phishing scams
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: More email phishing scams Reply with quote

Another one of these evil phishing scam emails was sent to someone at work just now. This one was much less obvious than the ebay one. Instead this simply claimed to be from a company called DVD Zone with the domain: dvdzone22.com

It did not try and scare the user by listing adult products purchased, but instead listed that a transaction for an amount around 275 (no currency given so as to allow it to be sent all over the world) has been charged to the recipients bank account. Below this was a supplied a username and password for the site - presumably to fool the unwitting into logging on and possibly recieving some instructions on how to cancel this transaction which would no doubt involve handing over bank details to the scammer.

I am aware of these emails, so instructed the guy that recieved it to ignore it rather than responding, but unfortunatly these do fool many people. I'd imagine that these will start to come with many different formats so impossible for spam-filters to block these out completely. This one used obviously dodgy details in it, it was sent from yuiyee@hillman.net (or somthing like that) and the domain dvdzone22 was only registered on friday (19th August 2005) - presumably the details given on the whois query will no doubt be false too. I'd image that blocking this domain will do no good since the scammers can just keep registering new ones without fear of being caught and punished Sad

This gets me thinking tho. As this is beoming a bigger problem, the banks and credit card companies should start doing something about this. Perhaps banding together and providing a place to send such emails, then they could perhaps trap the scammers by giving them the details and tracing where the funds get moved to? Maybe they've already done this and I just havn't found out about it?

Update: (FZR) I have written up a quick guide to preventing phishing here -

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a really hard thing to stop unfortunately. The easiest way is to do your damndest not to ever let your email get harvested by a spammer.
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, a quick google pulls up these sites for more info and places to report scams.

-- Rei

Mike Jarvis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: DVD22.com Reply with quote

I recevied this scam email from DVD22 saying I had paid, I tried to contact them to stop the payment. but without any luck.
The link was inactive so I searched with Goggle and found your excellent site.
Your information about this scam has put my mind at rest.
I believe this will help a lot of other people too.
Thank you for taking the time to inform your visitors.
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FraZor wrote:

Its a really hard thing to stop unfortunately. The easiest way is to do your damndest not to ever let your email get harvested by a spammer.

This isn't always possible. The guy from work who received this scam is NOT computer literate. I'd be suprised if he has sent more than a few personal emails from it and definitely not the sort of person who would register it on other sites for anything. AFAIK our company emails are not listed anywhere publicly on the web. Thus, potentially someone who he has sent emails to for work or other reason (or who has his address in their addressbook) has leaked it via some spyware/trojan etc. This is hardly his fault at all and if it has happened to him it can just as easily happen to the others. Sad

-- Rei

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Mike jarvis - No problem mate, thats what we're here for.

@ NS - Looks like google is our friend again. Wink And yes I know what you are saying, but the solutions you mentioned above don't really work. SPAM is evil, phishing is more than just evil, its also illegal, but its currently nigh on impossible to stop. Governments really need to step in here and start cracking down on it. Lets hope they start taking it more seriously.

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD22.com Reply with quote

Mike Jarvis wrote:

I recevied this scam email from DVD22 saying I had paid, I tried to contact them to stop the payment. but without any luck.
The link was inactive so I searched with Goggle and found your excellent site.
Your information about this scam has put my mind at rest.
I believe this will help a lot of other people too.
Thank you for taking the time to inform your visitors.

No problem at all Smile

I tried a google search before posting and was quite suprised that I couldn't find any other references. However, because the domain was registered just a few days before it was probably just because it was too new. I hadn't tried the link at all as I was still at work but it's good news that it wasn't working - hopefully it was pulled down by the hosts when they realised what it was.

Because there are lots of people out there that these things, each time with different details, I will post any as and when I discover them. Please feel free to submit any news ones that you find!

-- Rei

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the pages linked to are not able to do too much, but if naming them on our site has helped atleast one person avoid being scammed then surely it's worth while reporting them to other sites who will warn people incase we are not found by everyone?

Obviously it needs a higher profile in any Government's agenda but in the meantime we can certainly have some posative effect.

-- Rei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: dvdzone22 ??? Reply with quote

I received an email from dvdzone22 saying i had been billed for GBP 286.95. I tried the link and it didnt work as with some others from your comments. Am I right in thinking its ok and to forget about it now, or should I be doing something about it.

They couldnt have got personal details from a previous transaction eg:flight tickets/theatre or bill payments could they? I kno it was mentioned that they would get these if you got in touch to cancel your order, but as the site doesnt work I cant understand what the point of sending these emails in the first place.

When these ####s are caught, I suggest they are put in stocks & pillories, broadcast on the net and have an interactive site so that we can all toss rotten fruit at them. Yes few years of that would teach them and all profits could go to compensation for any unfortunate victims.

Cheers Mark
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure since I never saw the website if/when it was working, however, from the information I gathered about the email sent to the guy at work it did look like they were trying to get you to quickly rush to the site to cancel this transaction. In this case what they would presumably do is to ask you to enter your card and/or bank details to "verify" that you are the owner of the card which the fake transaction is related to - instead of then cancelling the transaction (which never existed anyway) the scammers now have your bank details and are free to transfer all of your money to their account, make purchases using your card etc - and you would only find out once you received your statement at the end of the month by which time it may be too late.

Assuming that your computer operating system is up-to-date, you have installed and constantly running anti-virus and anti-spyware tools which are updated constantly and the sites you are buying from are well-established then you should be safe from internet purchases. However, it is always a good idea to check your statements, just in case.

The site might not work now, but that might be because it was shut down by some authorities or the hosts once they discovered it.

I too would love to see some public naming and shaming of these low-life scammers, but I will settle for knowing that they are being pursued, caught and sentenced whereever possible.

You can safely ignore that email tho, no valid website would send you account details in the same email as transaction details and also the emails would be much more personalised than the scamming ones.

-- Rei

Last edited on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Security All times are BST
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: