Forum Navigation

Laptop computers and the like

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wibble
Voodoo ZomBie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Laptop computers and the like Reply with quote

Hi guys,

hows things going and stuff? I have another fun filled question to ask you about buying some hardware.

My gf wants to get a laptop computer, primiarily to run the music composition software Sibelius on (512mb min RAM), and I would like some advice as to what kind of thing to go for. She has around £500 as a max to spend. I know that I could happily tootle off to somewhere like Dell and find something, but as I know even less about laptops than I do desktops I thought I'd better check to see if theres anything I should avoid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Wibbs

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Strokes chin...

To be fair, Dell's laptops offer good bang for buck, but they are neither special or particularly excel in any way... but you get what you pay for I suppose.

Laptops are a lot more hit and miss than desktops - primarily because theya re 90% an enclosed computer from a single manufacturer, unlike a desktop.

So my only advice is to shop around for something that looks good, and apropriate, in your price range, then scour the web for opinions/reviews.

F

Wibble
Voodoo ZomBie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. I've just thought of another possible solution - the shuttle barebones systems you were talking about a while ago. I have one concern with these though, which is possible problems with the amount of space for a gfx card. Are you aware of any serious problems with this kind of thing?

Cheers,

Wibbs

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, some of the earlier models, and cheaper current models don't have much room for GFX cards, esp the top end ones with big coolers, so have a good read of reviews of the model that takes your fancy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Hardware All times are BST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: