Forum Navigation

Sigh! downloads on microsoft.com still broken

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Sigh! downloads on microsoft.com still broken Reply with quote

<rant>

So far today I have been having "fun" purging a laptop from all manner of spayware, adware, keyloggers and viruses - despite it not being my job.

I've run Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, HiJackThis, CWShredder, McAfee VShield, Startup List - all with the latest updates and most of them finding bits that were not removed by others. However, I still had to manually remove some stuff not covered by the above.

The glaring ommision is obviously MS Windows Defender which I would like to install but can't because of Microsoft's website is broken and won't let me download more than a few K of any files I need. Fortunatly, I can get Windows Defender from an external site and save it to my hard drive so I can transfer it to the quarantened machine via USB stick but it won't run on it because it needs the Windows 2000 Security Software PreRequisite Pack which I cannot install because the download keeps dieing. Sad

I do not have trouble with ANY other downloads, just Microsoft who seem determined not to let me protect this laptop. Evil or Very Mad

</rant>

Does anyone know of a decent, non-ms site where I can download gdiplus_dnld.exe ?

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Defender is XP and Vi ONLY. So why are you going to such great lengths? it won't work ON 2K AFAIK.

I am getting v.fast pings from Microsoft.com (30ms) and I have just downloaded Windows Defender Beta 2 from MS @ ~600K/s. So the problem is either that machine, your network or your ISP.

I'd also add my shock EEK! at the inclusion of McAfee software in that list. McAfee are (in my opinion) above and beyond the WORST and most INCOMPETENT provider of anti-virus and security software there is. Even Symantec/Norton products are better (in my opinion, although they take large and unnecessary chunks of resources), but only just. The company I am currently working with is deeply unhappy with McAfee, as their 'Internet Security Centre' software is preventing the viewing of some of their pages for completely unknown reasons (even to them - which is shocking) and they are being beyond slow at responding to this problem.

The problem here is a stupid user, not stupid software.

Last edited on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! I am not sure whether that was directed at me or the owner of the laptop. Either way I disagree. In the second instance it's more the case of lack of education.

I can download software from any other site fine on this machine. I even downloaded defender from a third party site FINE. I could not download it from MS's site even after passing their validation process! IE/Firefox, it doesn't matter BOTH failed on the download after 30-50Kb through downloading the file. This is not a user problem, I did not do anything to disrupt the download. If every other site I vist can allow me to complete a download, why can MS not do this? This is the ONLY site that I cannot download from thus the problem must be because of all the extra rubbish that they have used to code the page. I am using MS browser on an MS operating system through an MS proxy and the only page that has trouble downloading is the MS site. This IMHO is retarded.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/sysreq.mspx wrote:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.

Given the above, I expect Windows Defender to install on a Win2k laptop and I also do not expect so much issues downloading updates to their OS.

McAfee is the AV our comany chose. It is mandated company wide and has to exist on all windows installations. The company also chose Lotus Notes as our email system too so I am not suprised if they picked the wrong AV system.

This is just one of the days where I am very grateful that I do not work in IT and get to spend most of my time working on OSX.

-- Rei

FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it does say it supports Win2K, I am corrected.

I meant stuipd user WRT the person who trashed the laptop in the first place. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Could it not be (in fact is it not likely) that a peice of the spyware, or a virus) has not either deliberatyly cripped the OS's ability to conatct Microsoft.com, or even that it is acting as a 'zombeie' and sending deliberate bad packets to MS? These are very common occurrences, shockingly so.

Dude, chill with the rants, and stop saying 'things are broken' - as this catch'all of yours is misleading. You mean its not working as you expect, or that its somehow acting incorrectly. By your use of the term I can claim that Linux is broken because I can't play game X on it out of the box, or that it doesn't do what I expect. But thats not what you mean is it?

NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance is how these things get anywhere at all. These laptops are given out to sales guys who would be just as happy to get their job done with a mobile phone and company car but have to have email and fill in word/excel forms and spreadsheets etc. There is anti-virus installed but little else to protect the machines. Really, our IT department should be installing real-time spyware protection before handing them out and also providing optional, basic training for those who are not so knowledgeable.

The machine was quaranteened and thus I was using my own machine to download the updates and transfer software via USB stick. One of the things I found was a keylogger so even tho it was probably too late I did not want the machine sending anymore data to god-knows where. Perhaps my machine does have something blocking downloads from MS, I guess I can't rule that out unless I run a spyware scan on it.

If you can post saying that the Mac doesn't work properly then I think I'm entitled to complain when my downloads from a specific site do not work properly. I was in a relatively frustrated mood and even marked up my post as a rant.

Your comparison is flawed. I don't have a copy of X but on my X3 box it lists the system requirements as Windows. Since Linux is not Windows then it means it should not be expected to run on any other OS. This is entirely different from Microsoft offering a product free for users of a Windows OS that I am currently using, I pass their genuine copy test thingy and it then offers me a link to download which then fails after a few K.

On the brightside it's now the weekend so I don't have to worry about it anymore Smile

-- Rei

Last edited on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Security All times are BST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: