Forum Navigation

Companies not doing enough to stop Phishing attempts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Companies not doing enough to stop Phishing attempts Reply with quote

Following on from my attempt to contact barclays regarding this phishing scam, here's a report that a representative of eBay actually told someone reporting abuse that the email was actually genuine! EEK!

It seems that even the people employed by these big companies can't even tell genuine emails from the scams so how is anyone else supposed to? This situation is just getting so ridiculous Sad

Read more @ Techdirt.com

P.S. If anyone from barclays is listening, SORT YOUR EMAIL OUT! All my attempts to report phishing attempts have bounced around one of their servers and then returned with a rejection notice Evil or Very Mad

Idiots! Do these companies even care that their customers are getting screwed over?

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei
FraZor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Barclaycard customer (not to be confused with Barclays Bank BTW), and have had a generally good expience with them. They dealt with my card being cloned in Mexico quite well, altho it does mean they automatically freeze my card now as soon as any large (£400+) get charged to it, unless I tell them in advance, which is kinda annoying. If I buy anything online with barclaycard, I get sent to their own payment confirmation applet that requires me to fill out a lot of details and passwords, which is a tad annoying as its something extra to fill out, but it makes it much harder to pretend to be me.
DemonKnight
Techno ZomBie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have had dogey emails trying to get my barclays details and have always forward these emails and reported them to barclays with no problems they even have sent me a email back saying thankyou so NS they must just not like you Tounge

Last edited on Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it's kind of a different issue I guess. I've got credit cards with both NatWest and Tescos and both have been reasonable good about blocking what would be suspect purchases. When I first got the Tesco card I bought computer equipment from three different places and the last of which was stopped and they called me up about it as I can understand with a new card. Also, when I bought my recent batch of computer equipment from two different places the second was stopped and I was called about it. So both have been on the ball there.

With these phishing scams however, I think the banks etc could more easily pass the blame to the customer for "giving away their details to someone else". If you give your card to a cashier to pay for items in a store or restaurant and they secretly swipe the details there then there is little you could have done to prevent that - whereas if you're lured into manually entering in your details into a random site because an email told you to then they can probably just say that it was your own fault, especially since they often put up warnings and stuff.

I don't actually know of any reports of people being taken in by these phishing scams and having to get money back from the bank. If anyone has any, please pop a link to them in a reply. It would certainly be intersting to see if banks are willing to refund the money without any trouble.

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonKnight wrote:

NS they must just not like you Tounge

Bah! I'll send it again when I get home!

-- Rei

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Security All times are BST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: